Five Fundamentals for Success
You have undoubtedly heard the word, fundamental, throughout your life; however, do you know what this word really means?
Webster’s dictionary of course offers several meanings, two of which are 1.) Serving as an original or generating source, and 2.) One of the minimum constituents, without which a thing or a system would not be what it is.
What does the word fundamental mean to you? I look at the above definitions, and the aspects that really stand out to me and truly define what I believe it means are: “minimum” and “without which a thing or a system would not be what it is.”
Without fundamentals we do not have a starting point – a basis from which to develop and evolve. Every successful salesperson and thriving business has started with learning and implementing the fundamentals. I firmly believe that if you concentrate on and master the fundamentals of your business, you are guaranteed to experience success at whatever you set out to do.
You are likely able to read this newsletter because your parents and teachers ensured that, early on in life, you learned the fundamentals of reading and writing – learning letter sounds, how vowels work, etc., and then building upon the basics to read and write more complex words.
The power of learning and implementing the fundamentals is just as impactful for having a successful sales career or for running a successful business.
The following are my 5 core fundamentals you can implement in your life right now to experience immediate results.
1. MAKE A PLAN OF ACTION: Determine what needs to be done and write it down. This could be a daily written plan, a goal chart, or an accountability record. Make it something that you can relate to and that will hold you accountable to see it through. There is no wrong way to make this plan as long as you stay on track and you work it.
2. DON’T OVER-ANALYZE: Keep it simple. Fundamentals are just that – simple tasks to accomplish your goals that produce results. You don’t have to over-think a task that can produce the outcome you want by doing it harder than it needs to be. My company was the envy of our industry because we kept our model simple and doable, and we kept our culture enjoyable, which produced monumental results.
3. WORK: There is no plan that will work unless you work your plan. Work is the four letter word that will make you or break you depending on your drive, desire and determination. Plain and simple: Nothing will work unless you do. Don’t just talk the talk …walk the walk. Work is the single most important fundamental you need to accomplish your goals and turn your dreams into reality.
4. BE PASSIONATE: I would classify having passion as a key core fundamental characteristic. Why? Because if we are not truly on board with our whole self to complete our mission, then our mission and goals will be much more difficult to accomplish. Passion will drive you to push forward even when you have distractions or other things you could be doing. For example, as I write this newsletter it is an incredibly beautiful day outside and I could be golfing with friends; however, because I am so passionate about getting this information to you I made a choice to get it done. The more passion you have, the less your career will feel like work.
5. GET FOCUSED: You have to be focused. This is a fundamental that is non-negotiable on your road to success. Ask yourself, “What have I accomplished in my life that didn’t require me to focus?” Your studies in school, learning to drive a car, having a great first day on the job, fulfilling your job description… you get the message. Anything that is really worth it in this life requires us to focus. One of my favorite leaders of all time is legendary football coach Vince Lombardi. Coach Lombardi is not only known for his coaching abilities, he has also authored some really great inspirational quotes and affirmations about success. One of the many areas of reflection I love of his was his emphasis on “single-minded determination” and how important being laser-focused is to reaching success. That my friend, is TRUE FOCUS, to be so determined not to take your eye of the prize and having a relentless pursuit to make it a reality. Focus is a fundamental that will help us conquer any quest we set our minds to achieve.
This newsletter could have easily contained many more fundamentals that we all need to be successful. It is my unwavering belief, though, that if you will spend time on these 5 Fundamentals for Success, you will see incredible measureable results. What are you waiting for?
I specialize in helping people master the basics and fundamentals in any business, not just real estate. If you were to go back and read my newsletters from the last couple of years, you would see how much I truly believe in these essential characteristics of what it takes to be the best. I would like to speak to your group or organization. To schedule an event or workshop please contact me at: Direct line (402) 680-8448, firstname.lastname@example.org or www.vandeeb.com.
Did you miss one of the newsletters? View the newsletter archive here »